While entering the United Arab Emirates, the person shall choose the type of the visa first. There are seven types of visas:
- 96 Hour Transit Visa that is valid for four days from arrival date and costs approximately $55.
- 90 Day Visit Visa
- Single Entry Long Term Visa that is valid for 90 days from arrival date and costs roughly $330.
- Single Entry Short Term Visa that is valid for 30 days from arrival date and costs approximately $90.
- Multi-Entry Long Term Visa that is valid for 90 days from arrival date and costs approximately $475.
- Multi-Entry Short Term Visa that is valid for 30 days from arrival date and costs approximately $175.
- Long Term Visa for Leisure purpose is valid for 90 days and is available for Pakistani and Filipino nations only; it costs $250.
There are specific rules and regulations applicable for obtaining a visa. The visa fees shall be paid upon application for a visa; visa fees are not refundable; entry into the UAE is the subject for immigration control; all visas are valid for 60 days to enter the country, except the 96-hour visa which will be valid for 30 days since the date of issue.
For the citizens of the countries listed below, there is no need to obtain a visa in advance, they may proceed to Immigration after the flight, and a 30-days visa will be stamped into their passport free of charge. Those countries are Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, China, Ireland, Japan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, New Zealand, People's Republic of China, Russian Federation, San Marino, Singapore, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States of America, and Vatican City.
The citizens of the following countries can acquire a 90-days visa that will be valid for six months after the date of issue. Those countries are Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Uruguay.
Since 1 May 2017, citizens of India that have a passport that is valid for at least six months from the date of arrival, a visit visa or green card issued by the USA are allowed to obtain a 14-days visa for a fee of 120 AED. They may also extend the time of stay for another 14 days for a fee of 250 AED.